Senior Mobile Notary

Suggestions for Seniors from a Notary Public


As a professional Notary Public I am called upon to help my clients in variety of situations.  So often I see the same circumstances repeat, and notice that many difficulties can be avoided if we plan ahead and bear a few things in mind.  I would love to share with you some suggestions I hope you will consider as you plan for your healthcare and estate issues.

Popular Senior Documents

Keep Your ID’s Current Even if You are a Non-Driver:  If your driver’s license is about to, or has already expired, take advantage of the California State ID Card.  Did you know that they are free to California residents over 62 and they are good for 10 years?  You must apply in person but you can make an appointment by calling (800)777-0133 or visit the DMV website.  It is important to keep some form of state or federal identification as you will not be able to get your important documents notarized without one.    ‎

Execute an Advance Health Care Directive:  An Advance Health Care Directive (AHCD) allows your physician, family, or friends to know your wishes regarding the type of treatments you want or don’t want at the end of life.  This set of instructions specifies what actions should be taken regarding your healthcare if you are unable to make those decisions yourself.

Many of my clients feel that this is an important topic to discuss with their family members and healthcare professionals and even make copies of their AHCD for them keep on file should an emergency arise.  Often these documents designate who you have chosen as your Power of Attorney and they will need a copy on hand as well.  Your Advance Health Care Directive will need to be notarized to avoid legal conflicts between family members or with your health care provider.

Sign a Power of AttorneyA Power of Attorney (POA) is a written authorization to represent or act on another’s behalf.  If you have not executed and signed a POA, legally it may be very difficult, if not impossible for your loved ones to help you with banking, bill paying, healthcare choices or many other important decisions should you become incapacitated.  It is one of the best gifts you can give yourself or your family.

Transferring TitlesDo you own a timeshare?  Transferring your timeshare to a family member will require some paperwork and documentation.  In my experience the timeshare management company will provide the forms and you (the giver) and your family member (the receiver) will be required to sign off on the transaction and have it notarized.  Of course, all of this must be done according to the laws in your state and satisfy the requirements of the timeshare management company.  Plan ahead and it will be a win-win for all involved!